Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Super Bowl XLII Prediction

Pretty hard to argue with last week's picks, of course. I've long considered The Hives' "Hate To Say I Told You So" the best fundamentally R&R song in years, but, boy, I sure did want it blaring from America's collective speakers last weekend when Green Bay fans watched that third game-winning attempt go through the posts.

If I hadn't had an overly horny and slightly drunk ex-girlfriend messing around with her computer in my basement "apartment," there's no telling how much I might have missed.

Rather, her suggestion of tying me up for an evening and my suggestion of splitting whatever my dear mother prepared that evening for dinner turned into total fruition; Neither of us regretted staying in that night.

Alas, here we are, with me having gleefully cheered alongside my father the field goal that crushed Packer-fan dreams and, in my mind, alleviated us all from two weeks of "Favre vs. Brady" greatness B.S.

How much would that have sucked?

Anyway, I said it last week, and I've been saying it all season ... and I'm not backing down now.

I like the Patriots. I've always liked the Patriots. I'm rooting for the Patriots.

Alas, bye-bye to the memory of the 1972 Miami Dolphins, who will forever be rightfully be remembered as just being, "Oh, they went undefeated too?"

This match-up is 20 times better for the public outside of Boston and New York for this one simple reason: New York nearly beat this New England team when the Patriots were on the verge of 16-0 (unprecedented). In other words—and here's where I should be a marketing major—the Giants don't just equal the ratings of a storied franchise, the team's reason for redemption gives us all something to root for during the two-fucking-week build-up to this event.

That said, you know my pick:

#1 New England Patriots over #5 New York Giants

And, yes, if you must require a final score prediction, it's here:

31-21

Let me now find the photo of a giant dick for the '72 Dolphins to collectively suck. Suggstions shall be accepted.

No comments: