Saturday, May 30, 2009

2009 Stanley Cup Finals

I suppose if we were using the 5-hole.com scoring system, I'd have an argument but alas, the gamble in the last round didn't pay off and the charming post-season tale of the Carolina Hurricanes ended in a dreadfully humiliating sweep at the hands of the heavily favored Pens. So, not much change in our standings between me and the boys from ESPN and Yahoo!:

So, we've come to one final series and from the picks I've seen so far, it's a pretty good split between those predicting a repeat in Motown and those believing the city of Pittsburgh is about to bring home its second sporting crown of the year. As for me:

Pittsburgh Penguins over Detroit Red Wings in six games

Picking with my heart, perhaps—not that my head is totally sold on Detroit, either. The Wings had three overtime games with the Hawks in that five-game series, so they didn't exactly waltz into the Finals with the authoritative tone the Penguins set. And if Pittsburgh's late-season turnaround wasn't convincing enough, their most recent games most certainly should be: They've won eight of their last nine games and allowed only one power-play goal in the conference finals. Considering that the Red Wings' age has been showing with numerous injuries and the team is a little more concerned about this back-to-back deal than you'd like to hear a conference champion admit, it's just too hard for me to believe that it's not the Pens drinking from Lord Stanley's Cup when all is said and done.

No comments: