Saturday, July 11, 2009

Cross Your Fingers

I've gotten so used to applying for jobs and forgetting about them that you couldn't imagine my delight this morning when I found out I was one of 15 applicants who made the "short list" for a copywriting position I applied for many months ago (or at least that's what it feels like). The position was something I stumbled across on craigslist and unlike the other copywriting jobs that required somewhere in the neighborhood of three-five years of previous experience, this one was looking for newcomers. I'd been dying for that opportunity to present itself.

The company started a Twitter account to keep us updated on how they were coming along with the many exams they received, and I immediately began fearing for the worst as weeks passed and I maintained my stance that Twitter sucks. Still, I did receive an e-mail informing me that the fellow in charge of the hiring enjoyed many of my responses on the exam and that I was on the "short list." Part of me immediately wondered how many of the 80 or so applicants also recieved a similar e-mail. That was probably more than a month ago. Since then, I've interviewed for other entry-level copywriting positions, ultimately being extended a job offer for absolutely none.

So now some three or so months after applying for this job that I wanted worse than any other position I've applied for in the past three years, I received another e-mail. And now I've come to find out that there's a phone interview in the next two weeks—not to mention that I need to call the steakhouse back on Monday, since that still remains a very good back-up plan at the moment.

But just as I have been anticipating making more money at a nicer restaurant closer to home without all the corporate B.S. I have been dealing with for the past year and a half, it turns out I have another opportunity to get excited about. Or should I not even get my hopes up? I was tempted to write something about the interview in my Facebook status, but thought better of it since I hate getting others excited for me about getting an interview and then informing them I did not actually get the position. (That's happened a lot since graduation.)

Ultimately, I'm thrilled that the "short list" e-mail from a while back was indeed not just something everybody was getting. And when I've made the final 15, it gives me tremendous hope that I must be doing something right.

No comments: