Wednesday, June 03, 2015

NBA Finals Prediction: The Team Versus The Superstar

After a busy (by this site's standards in recent years, at least) couple months, this will presumably be my last post for a couple more months. Who knows, maybe I'll finally feel compelled to write about something other than sports predictions.

As we prepare for the last basketball series of the year, we're getting the Finals that pretty everybody expected when the playoffs began. That was kind of implied in the subtitle to my picks for the last round. I've gone 12-2 this year in the playoffs, indicative not so much of my prognosticating prowess as just how much these series have played out exactly as expected.

There's been relatively little in the way of surprises this year, and the only series that went seven games both involved the Clippers. Both conference finals were over almost as soon as they started. While there's some muffled expectations of hope for these Finals, I'm not really going to hold my breath.

In fairness, we are probably getting the two teams that are fair representatives of the best clubs in their respective conferences. That said, in a rather injury-plagued playoffs (by NBA standards, at least), the Finals is probably not the must-see appointment TV it would be had both teams been fully healthy.

I will not be the least bit surprised if the NBA Finals starting one night after the first game of the Stanley Cup Final gets decided before the NHL season officially ends.


Golden State Warriors over Cleveland Cavaliers in five games

Look, it's amazing what LeBron has done this postseason. And make no mistake, it's been all LeBron by and large. Sure, he has his cast of supporting contributors in most every game, but not a single team in the Eastern Conference was able to take advantage of the Cavs having Kevin Love or a banged-up Kyrie Irving. I can't explain how pathetic that is. Now all of that said, the Warriors have been a relentless team effort all season long. Scoring options abound on this team, and the ball movement still blows my mind every time I see Golden State play. LeBron can guard any position on the floor, but he can't guard all five. Sorry, Cleveland, but I think you're in for another relatively quick Finals ouster.

No comments: