Friday, May 27, 2016

NHL Stanley Cup Final Prediction: Head vs. Heart

Got one series exactly right last round and erred on the other, leaving us with a Cup Final that's quite intriguing. Both of these teams have been picked by experts (and even non-experts like yours truly) in years past to hoist Lord Stanley, only to end up (2009 aside for Pittsburgh) coming up short.

I can find reasons to be happy for either team here, but I'm largely rooting for the Sharks because that's the team without a single Cup win and numerous players deserving of having their names etched on it. For San Jose, this could very well likely be the last chance for many of the the team's players while I've got every reason to believe many Penguins will be back and contend again next year.

Both goaltenders have been good, but I wouldn't call either unbeatable. Pittsburgh's forwards have been aggressive on the forecheck, but the Sharks have sparkled on the power play. I'm going back and forth as I type this, debating whether I side with what I believe is the probable favorite (the Penguins) or going with the team I'll actually be rooting for (San Jose).

At 8-6 so far in these playoffs, it's not like I've got a perfect predictions mark on the line. So ...


San Jose Sharks over Pittsburgh Penguins in seven games

Sidney Crosby committed the mortal sin when he picked up the Prince of Wales Trophy after the Pens ousted Tampa. That's it, fate sealed. Right? Well, he's already proven that superstition was bunk. So maybe that's not the best line of thinking for making this choice, and we indeed seem long overdue for an Eastern Conference Cup winner, but I'm sticking with the Sharks team that I felt was the most likely champion ever since they shockingly ousted by initial predicted winner Kings in only five games. Yes, this will be the biggest test so far for San Jose, but they didn't play chopped liver for the past two months. Los Angeles was a formidable opponent to begin with, Nashville was the best five-on-five possession team in the regular season, and St. Louis was the team that knocked off the defending champs. Pittsburgh's resume doesn't inspire near as much respect, and I think the Sharks ultimately will their way to winning this series with Joe Pavelski winning the Conn Smythe.

No comments: