Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Stop Me If You've Heard This One Before, Vol. 1

A couple of days ago, Brian Flemming had a link up to a study with some news that was rather, well, alarming.

But I've had my say about the preposterous debate involving evolution before. And I remember after writing that article, I received an e-mail from one reader I don't think I'll ever forget. Considering I was still dealing with hate mail from the previous week's piece, it began with the author telling me that he was in fact writing me from Kansas. He thought that by telling me that, I probably assumed he was some loony Bible-thumper (and he was, unfortunately, probably right).

As it turns out, he wasn't.

Instead, he was just as outraged that his home state's science cirriculum was being thrown into a regrettable national spotlight—again.

Despite the fact that 44 percent of Americans actually believe Jesus Christ will return to Earth in their lifetimes, Kansas looks like it will probably go back to realizing how important an issue this is to their science standards are:
"[Janet] Waugh said she supported both evolution and creationism being taught in the appropriate settings. Waugh said that the current conservative board’s decision to include criticism of the theory of evolution in its science curriculum had made the state a laughing stock.

'I think it’s unfair and tragic because the reality is we rank in the top 10 of the nation in every category educationally, but if we continue the path we were on with radicals and conservatives, I think the ranking would be lower,' Waugh said."

Getting the Intelligent Designers off the board isn't just another step in evolution; it's further proof of it.

No comments: