Wednesday, August 22, 2007

I'll Be Back

For a while, I was becoming concerned that taking that shitty recruiting job might have jeopardized my relationship with that "foot-in-the-door" job, as I called it. The editor I reported to had been on vacation seemingly every time I tried calling him this summer, which makes sense since there's no high school sports going on when, well, there's no fucking school in session.

But as luck would have it, I actually got the guy on the phone today and he said that, indeed, my help this fall is still very much needed. "We're going to be in dire straits here," he told me, referring to a new deadline that cuts into the pattern most writers there had grown accustomed to.

Perfect.

Yes, it's still technically a sort of "freelance" gig, but at the same time, it's a gig nonetheless. And more importantly, it's more published clips. If you ask why that's important, then I'll direct you to my website as soon as it's up and running (by the end of the week, I'm hoping).

I've been forced to re-type many of my articles from community college and university because their websites totally blow. And what else blows in addition to that is my own writing; most of the time I'm cringing in front of the keyboard as I re-enter some sentences I really, REALLY wish I had taken another moment to reconsider. Or shake my fist at an editor who didn't understand the definition of the word "albeit." Or realize how often I used the term "shallow" in a film review. Ugh. This is my best work?

No. No, it's not. My best days are ahead of me. If nothing else, I see the progression I've made and the progress still to come. Color me excited to be back doing what I love.

No comments: