Saturday, May 14, 2011

NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Conference Finals Predictions: Obviously not my year

After one round, we were without my hometown defending champs. And now one round later, we're without either of the two clubs I'd had originally picked to be playing for the Cup this year. What we're left with is four teams, not one of which I can find a real rooting interest for. But at least only one can win, so I suppose that whatever silly objections I might have I will still be able to take some comfort in that three will end up being eliminated.

At the rate I'm going, you can probably assume this year's Finals will be the exact opposite of whatever I predict here.


It was immediately established after just one round that I was going to have an all-time worst showing here for NHL picks on BMC, but I managed to make my ugly showing this year even uglier by missing on three of the four series in the conference semifinals. Again, there's minor consolation in that at least ESPN's Scott Burnside whiffed on all four of his picks to share last place with me, but we lost the perfect score hopes from an expert this year (only Puck Daddy's Mayy Barr had Tampa Bay last round—although he was also one of two people with Nashville last round too ...).

Anyway, here's how the experts rank now after two rounds:

1. (2) Sean Leahy, Puck Daddy: 11-1 (5)
2. (3) Ross McKeon, Yahoo: 11-1 (4)
3. (1) Justin Bourne, Puck Daddy: 10-2 (5)
4. (6) Matt Romig, Yahoo: 10-2 (4) 
5. (4) Darryl Dobbs, Puck Daddy: 10-2 (3)
6. (11) Ryan Lambert, Puck Daddy: 9-3 (4)
7. (7) Matthew Barnaby, ESPN: 9-3 (3)
7. (5) Erin Nicks, Puck Daddy: 9-3 (3)
7. (7) Greg Wyshynski, Puck Daddy: 9-3 (3)
10. (7) Rob Pizzo, Puck Daddy: 9-3 (2)
12. (12) Sam McCaig, Yahoo: 8-4 (2)
13. (12) John Buccigross, ESPN: 7-5 (1)
13. (12) Barry Melrose, ESPN: 7-5 (1)
15. (19) Matt Barr, Puck Daddy: 7-5 (0)
16. (16) Linda Cohn, ESPN: 6-6 (3)
16. (15) Pierre LeBrun, ESPN: 6-6 (3)
18. (17) E.J. Hradek, ESPN: 6-6 (2)
19. (17) Dmitry Chesnokov, Puck Daddy: 6-6 (1)
19. (21) Steve Levy, ESPN: 6-6 (1)
21. (19) Scott Burnside, ESPN: 5-7 (0)
21. (22) YOURS TRULY: 5-7 (0)



So, if I get all three of the remaining series correct, I can still finish above .500. Nice.

You'll notice the ESPN crew's picks for this round appears to be missing a couple faces. Mr. Barnaby, I'm afraid, might be sequestered to opinions away from the Mother Ship for a little while. As for Mr. Levy, I don't know where he's at, but rest assured I'll add either one to the standings if their picks should happen to appear after this is posted:

 


Meanwhile, the Yahoo gang's all there:



And finally, here's my latest bit of presumably wrongheaded logic:


Vancouver Canucks over San Jose Sharks in seven games

Niemi and Luongo could just as easily be a wash, but to me the series really becomes a matter of which team wants to rid itself of postseason demons more. And you've really gotta believe that the importance of winning this series and clinching a Cup appearance cannot be understated for either one of these franchises. The San Jose Sharks have long been synonymous with playoff futility and still has a number of current players to whom this series could equate to making or breaking a career, but it's Vancouver with the home ice and the additional goal of trying to bring Lord Stanley back to Canadian soil that will help the Canucks finally get one step closer to planning another parade route.


The Bolts have been something of an enigma for me this season, giving the Blackhawks tough games from what I remember this regular season—though not enough to get me to pick them in either of the past two rounds. Minus Sid the Kid, I went with Pittsburgh as my least confident pick that opening round, and just when the Lightning appeared to be all but dead down 3-1, they won three straight to move on—only to win four more in a row, against the top-seeded Caps in what I'd said would be my most confident pick the following round. So what do I make of Tampa Bay now? Part of me thinks back the Carolina squad from a couple years back that had surprised many on their way to the Eastern Conference Finals. Of course, that team lost to the eventual champion Pens, but another part of me also thinks back to the Lightning team that captured the Cup the year before the lockout and wonders if the overlooked Bolts might just be getting ready to break Canada's heart again. Boston's coming off a sweep in the second round after going seven in the first as well, but overall I just suspect that Tampa Bay might be able to thrive off being discounted and playing with a little less pressure than Boston (which hasn't been the the Finals in almost two decades and hasn't won one in almost four)—hell, less pressure than any of the other three teams left.

Also, if Tampa should indeed play Vancouver and considering the NHL retains the 2-2-1-1-1 format for travel, how much of a nightmare would that be for the teams and press if the series went the full seven? That said, a flight between Boston and San Jose is really only a few hours difference, I suppose.

No comments: