Thursday, September 29, 2011

2011 Division Series Predictions: Minus my pick and my fave

I suppose I'll be elaborating more on what transpired last night, an admittedly exciting finish to the regular season, when I write up the sad conclusion to a certain team's certain fourth quarter. Of course, seeing as this is also when I typically reflect on how I did at predicting back before the first pitch was thrown, I suppose the good news would be this: I improved to a dozen teams correctly placed this year. I ended up with only four of the playoff teams correct (it would have been six had two certain teams not, you know ... oh, God), two in each league, and had three of the division winners correct. So once again, nothing terribly admirable.

But now we shift into the baseball playoffs, and I'll obviously be a little less giddy this year, seeing as the Bravos will not be playing. I have no real vested interest in the "toldja' so" sense because the Red Sox collapse also eliminated my supposed World Series winner this year. Nice.

I don't know who I'll be rooting for, in all honesty. Right now, I suppose I'm leaning heavily toward a Milwaukee-anybody but the Yankees Series.

If I'm recalling correctly, ESPN's staff can be bunch of flakes about posting picks, so I'm not even really going to bother this year (or not this round, at least). But Yahoo's usually pretty good with keeping them updated (although the graphics could be a little better), so here's those guys:


Now I get to the fun of putting in hats for my own picks, although I haven't imported those files yet. I guess it's a good thing my picks won't be all that different from last year.

Well, now that I think about it ...

Philadelphia Phillies over St. Louis Cardinals in four games

It's certainly tempting to believe that the white-hot Cards can keep up the momentous pace that got them this Wild Card, but the playoffs are precisely why Philly's rotation was so frightening coming into this season. In a five game series, I don't see how St. Louis can knock out that many aces. I almost have a feeling that Philadelphia will drop the opener and win the next three, but in the end, I don't see any more than one game getting away from the Phillies.
Milwaukee Brewers over Arizona Diamondbacks in four games

Milwaukee was a division winner I picked but still didn't expect them to dominate at home like they did. Seeing as they'll host the first two here, that doesn't bode well for an Arizona squad I severely underrated this year and am probably underestimating again. Still, I'm fairly confident Milwaukee takes the first two at Miller and then breaks the D-Backs' fans hearts in a fourth game.

Texas Rangers over Tampa Bay Rays in five games

I obviously must not have much love for the Wild Cards. In truth, I've been following the Rangers pretty closely since they've been what accounts for everyday baseball ever since moving down here. Their lineup is potent, and while no Cliff Lee this year certainly lessens the rotation, I still just suspect that the Texas bats will be bigger than Tampa's.

Detroit Tigers over New York Yankees in four games

OK, might as well indulge in a little wishful thinking. The Yankees boast the best record in the American League, but Detroit only finished two games worse and will get two starts from Justin Verlander. Miguel Cabrera hit .417 against New York in the regular season too. What if the non-Verlander starts are epic busts? Well, I'm betting that non-Sabathia starts won't fare much better.

No comments: