Friday, October 07, 2011

2011-12 NHL Predictions: I ♥ WGN

I missed getting this done before what was technically opening night, but forget all that for now. I had been fearing that with the beloved Blackhawks dropping the puck tonight, I might have to deal with no longer having the team's stellar radio broadcasts to listen to. We get WGN's TV station down here in Austin, so that assured me a few mmore televised games in addition to the national broadcasts. And I suppose tonight and tomorrow, with the Stars on the schedule, I can catch some more Chicago hockey on television thanks to the Dallas Fox Sports affiliate.

But I've got the sound off because as it turns out, WGN's Hawks broadcasts are not blacked out. Thankfully. Times a million. Seriously, everything's coming up roses these days. Work's going well. I'm engaged now. And I'll be able to listen to John and Troy this season. What else could I possibly want?

Oh, yeah: Another parade with the Stanley Cup in Chicago.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
Atlantic
Pittsburgh Penguins

Philadelphia Flyers

New York Rangers

New York Islanders

New Jersey Devils

The top three in this division should all be able to get into the playoffs while the Islanders need to show some sort of improvement this year, so I moved them into fourth. You would think that the Devils couldn't start worse than last year, and I'm almost certain now that I've placed the team last in this division, they'll end up winning the President's Trophy. 

Pittsburgh seems due to get a break this season, but even if Sidney Crosby spends more time off the ice than on it, they're still a capable squad and there's always the moves that can be made at the trade deadline. Philadelphia won't have as much wiggle room to work with come that time, and the Rangers should be improved but not enough to make me think they finish any better than third.

Northeast
Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Montreal Canadiens

Toronto Maple Leafs
 

Ottawa Senators

Another three-horse race. Last season's champs didn't get the gutting that the Hawks got the year before after winning it all, so I see no reason why Boston can't win this division. The Sabres could give them a real run if they are consistent enough, but Montreal will be fighting to get into the playoffs and both Toronto and Ottawa will be jockeying for fourth. I'm giving the Leafs the edge. 

Southeast
Washington Capitals

Tampa Bay Lightning


Winnipeg Jets

Carolina Hurricanes
Florida Panthers

This was the only division I nailed last year, and just like my other two East picks so far, I'm only making one change from last year's picks. Carolina's too sketchy for me, so I'm buying into the change of venue helping the Thrashers Jets feed off a rowdy Winnipeg crowd. The Capitals remain the class of the division, although the Bolts should still provide plenty of problems.


WESTERN CONFERENCE
Central
Detroit Red Wings
 
Chicago Blackhawks
Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Columbus Blue Jackets

While I believe the Blackhawks definitely improved this off-season, I'd be surprised if they didn't have a little stumbling out of the gate. Things will come together and they'll be able to catch the Predators, but the Red Wings will probably assume first at some point and never look back. Should also be the same old-same old for the Blues and the Jackets, meaning St. Louis will show a glimmer of hope at the beginning of the year before collapsing before the All-Star Break while Columbus will continue to struggle all year long.

Northwest
Vancouver Canucks

Calgary Flames
Minnesota Wild

Colorado Avalanche

Edmonton Oilers

Nobody's entering this year with a heavier heart than Vancouver, but even if they can't duplicate the league-leading points total they accumulated last season, they should still come away atop the otherwise weak Northwest. The rest of the division's a bit tougher to tell. The Flames could be pesky enough to bid for the playoffs, but their age was showing last year. The Wild might finally have the right coach and the right mix to also get into the postseason, although they'll need some work on defense. And Colorado has its own share of questions, but could also end up in the running for a playoff spot. Hell, even Edmonton shouldn't be ruled out, but the top and bottom spots book-ending these picks seem to be the safest bets. The three finishes in between are anybody's guess, really.

Pacific
San Jose Sharks

Los Angeles Kings
 
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
Phoenix Coyotes

The Sharks are popular favorites to emerge from the West this year, and both the Kings and Ducks could be competing for possible first-round home ice if they can stay healthy. A new coach in Dallas could bring about a new attitude, but the departure of Brad Richards does not bode well. The Yotes have suffered too many key departures to be a factor, although I'm sure another passionate plea from their fans not to let the team relocate will be imminent. That's always fun.

Opening Round Playoffs
#8 Jets over #1 Capitals in 6 games
#2 Bruins over #7 Rangers in 7 games
#3 Penguins over #6 Lightning in 5 games
#5 Sabres over #4 Flyers in 7 games

#1 Sharks over #8 Ducks in 7 games
#2 Red Wings over #7 Flames in 4 games

#6 Predators over #3 Canucks in 6 games
#4 Blackhawks over #5 Kings in 7 games



Conference Semifinals
#2 Bruins over #8 Jets in 7 games
#3 Penguins over #5 Sabres in 6 games

#1 Sharks over #6 Predators in 6 games
#4 Blackhawks over #2 Red Wings in 6 games



Conference Finals
#3 Penguins over #2 Bruins in 6 games

#4 Blackhawks over #1 Sharks in 7 games

Stanley Cup Final
Chicago Blackhawks over Pittsburgh Penguins in 6 games
My track record isn't so hot when I pick the team I root for to go all the way (0-for-1, I believe?), but at least I kept it consistent this year. Here's to what I'm sure will be a glorious season just for the fact that I now know I'll be listening all year long. Being psyched might have affected my better predicting judgment.

No comments: