Monday, February 06, 2012

Oscar Nominee Reaction: Meet the new system, same as the old system

The only two films without check marks are the ones I have not seen, and they are also, coincidentally, the only two I did not pick. One of which I thought had fallen off and the other that I thought would surely be hurt by the new voting system. So much for that. Instead of 10 nominees, the new selection process cuts the field all the way to ... nine.

As it turns out, I probably won't be doing many movie reviews this year. Sure I may fill out one of those Oscar ballots once I've seen all nine of the nominated films (the color of the check marks should hint at my initial opinions, for those familiar with the grading system around here), but I really am trying to avoid "Extremely Loud" with every fiber of my being.

Anyway, I ended up going 33 out of ... 44 on my picks. That doesn't sound very impressive at all, and indeed, Best Director was the only category I had every nominee predicted correctly this year. Extremely Loud aside, no other nominations truly shocked me, as many of the nominees I was incorrect about were replaced by expected contenders. The manner in which the Best Picture nominees were presented was also somewhat strange, not offered up in the traditional alphabetical order when the number of films was certain. Instead, with the amount of nominees unknown, that allowed the Academy to offer up this order with Extremely Loud as the last announced before readjusting the titles to the order used in the photo above (original source here). Whereas Tree of Life was expected to be the major test of how well a borderline film might far, Extremely Loud gets in and basically assure that under the new system, more films like The Blind Side will still very likely be right in the running.

So like I said, and as has been the case with a majority of what were usual BMC posts, I'm afraid that there's not likely to be enough time in these days between now and the actual Oscars ceremony to post reviews of all the nominated films. I do, however, anticipate offering up the usual predictions about that night, whatever that might be worth.

No comments: