Wednesday, April 04, 2012

2012 MLB Predictions: A week late?

Tonight was Opening Night. Well, here in the States, I mean. See, that photo on the right is from a pair of games Oakland and Seattle split to kick off the regular season ... in Japan.

If it was on TV, I didn't come across it, and if there was any attention given to it, I already forgot what was said. I know I typically try to post my picks before the first pitch is thrown, but as has been the story of late with BMC posts, I've just been busy. So there's a couple teams with one game under their belt already, which should really help me out in laying out my annual predictions for the 162-game season. Judging by recent years, I need all the help I can get.

Last year, I played it safe and was rewarded by having absolutely none of my playoff predictions—winners or losers in any specific round—be correct. Considering how memorable of a postseason it turned out to be, I wasn't left with much to complain about. Entering this year, it's hard to say there's a real consensus favorite, but I will say not too many people are picking the Cards to repeat. Oh, and we also have a new, ridiculous single-game Wild Card Playoff. 

One game. After 162. They're really doing this.

I'm quite positive I will be bitching about this throughout the playoffs, and maybe during the regular season—when I'm not expressing concern about how often Fredi González is using his three-headed closing monster. Or cheering it, maybe. I haven't decided yet.

American League East
New York Yankees

Tampa Bay Rays

Boston Red Sox

Toronto Blue Jays

Baltimore Orioles


No real surprises here. Boston will have to be pretty good to grab that other wild card spot, but the Yankees and Rays should jockey for the division with Tampa likely having to settle for the one-game playoff berth.



American League Central
Detroit Tigers

Cleveland Indians

Kansas City Royals

Chicago White Sox

Minnesota Twins


Again, no real surprises. Unless you count the Royals finishing that high, but I thought I saw at least one person having them finishing as high as second. The Tigers should run away with it though, and if they can really get their shit together, compete for home-field throughout.

American League West
Texas Rangers

Los Angeles Angels

Oakland Athletics

Seattle Mariners


Gosh, I sure do have my doubts about how well the Rangers can recover after that World Series heartbreak last year. Still, even with the addition of Mr. Pujols and the usual winning ways of Mike Scioscia, I still think that Texas lineup can light up the scoreboard. Los Anaheim can likely take comfort in a wild card berth.

National League East
Philadelphia Phillies

Miami Marlins

Atlanta Braves

Washington Nationals

New York Mets


I really like the Marlins playing in a new ballpark with a new manager and many new faces. However, I think the Phillies also enter the year with a bit of a chip on their shoulder after being so heavily favored and then promptly ousted last year. In the end, it'll be Philly with the best record in the division, although Miami should accumulate enough wins to make the playoffs. Tim Hudson's going to miss the first month of the season, which gives me a pretty good idea of what to expect from Atlanta this year, as the Braves will probably have to fend off an improved Nationals club for third.



National League Central
Cincinnati Reds

Milwaukee Brewers

St. Louis Cardinals

Pittsburgh Pirates

Chicago Cubs

Houston Astros


I had the Brewers last year and found myself sort of rooting for them too, but this year I'm going to venture that the Reds return to the playoffs. St. Louis will be interesting in the first year of the post-Pujols era, and Milwaukee will be adjusting to life without Prince. I wanted to be tremendously ballsy and pick the Pirates to win the Central, but then realized that even fourth is higher than I've probably ever had them in the life of this blog.

National League West
San Francisco Giants

Arizona Diamondbacks

Colorado Rockies

Los Angeles Dodgers

San Diego Padres


Almost always a surefire loser. I had last year's winner, the D-Backs in last. So fully expect San Diego to narrowly edge out the Dodgers.

Wild Card Playoffs
 Angels over Rays
Marlins over Diamondbacks

Divisional Playoffs
Angels over Yankees in four
Tigers over Rangers in five
 Marlins over Phillies in five
 Giants over Reds in four


League Championship Series
Tigers over Angels in seven
Marlins over Giants in five

2012 World Series
Marlins over Tigers in six

I swear this is not because I'm a fan of the new logo.

No comments: