Monday, October 20, 2014

2014 World Series Prediction: Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst

One right, one wrong in last round with neither series lasting as long as I had predicted. Since the Wild Card round concluded, the only consistency in my predictions has been that I've been right about the Giants, wrong about the Royals, and incorrect on the length of every series. I'm 2-6 for this October, so fans of either team going into this last round would be right to hope that I don't pick their club.

It's not as though the baseball postseason has been necessarily bad, as there have been a number of very close games decided very late. However, none of the series have approached the maximum length and I don't really sense that the pattern's about to change—no matter how much I personally might be hoping otherwise.

This year's Fall Classic gives us one team that is seeking its third title in the past six years (dynasty?), and a club that hasn't won anything since it last appeared in the playoffs the same year Ronald Reagan was beginning his second term as president and my beloved Bears began a Super Bowl season by winning their first dozen games. It should be clear who I (and probably most of America) are pulling for, although what's really the point in getting my hopes up now?



San Francisco Giants over Kansas City Royals in four games

I'm more or less done assuming that Ned Yost will be out-managed by anybody at this point, as his occasionally maddening decisions have somehow paid huge dividends for the Royals. Kansas City continues to thrive and has yet to lose a single game this postseason. Of course, that's reminiscent to me of the 2007 Colorado Rockies team that won 13 of their final 14 regular season games before winning a Wild Card tie-breaker and their first seven playoff games, only to be swept out of the World Series by the Boston Red Sox. I'm getting the impression that the feelgood Royals story is about to receive a very similar ending at the hands of this San Francisco team. There's a lot to love about that Kansas City bullpen and team's defense, but this just feels like a quick and painless ending to a memorable run in an otherwise pretty forgettable baseball postseason.

No comments: