Wednesday, October 29, 2014

2014-15 NBA Predictions: Summer Wit'(out) Miami

While the Bulls season tips off tonight, the regular season technically began last night. So again, my apologies for being a day late in posting these picks that are largely reprints of what I had last year.

The major exception this time around is that for the first time in some five years, I don't have the Miami Heat winning a division and coasting into the NBA Finals once again. While the loss of LeBron will certainly be devastating, the Heat should still be able to hang around in the one division in the East that has a little bit of doubt. But the debate in the East essentially boils down to which one of the two teams in the Central you like more: the Bulls or the Cavs.

The West remains an absolute freak show of talent, with some 10 teams having a realistic shot at making the playoffs. I had a hard time deciding which one of last year's teams I wouldn't pick to make it again this year.

It's still somewhat amazing for me to see the Spurs as such predominant favorites in most of the picks I've seen thus far, not because I don't think they're not talented and able to repeat but more because I've grown so used to them being dismissed as "too old" year in, year out. Still, I know we're bound to get (at least) one major injury that screws everyone's picks and possibly eliminates a very popular title favorite.

All of that said, I'll still take a stab at how I see every team finishing and which one will be hoisting the Larry O'Brien next June.

And please forgive me for the spacing and font size issues as I'm posting this while

I'm

on

my

lunch

break.


EASTERN CONFERENCE

Atlantic



Toronto Raptors




New York Knicks





Brooklyn Nets







Boston Celtics





Philadelphia 76ers




Central


Cleveland Cavaliers





Chicago Bulls





Detroit Pistons




Indiana Pacers







Milwaukee Bucks





Southeast


Washington Wizards



Miami Heat




Atlanta Hawks




Charlotte Hornets




Orlando Magic


WESTERN CONFERENCE

Northwest


Oklahoma City Thunder






Portland Trail Blazers





Denver Nuggets


Minnesota Timberwolves




Utah Jazz
Pacific

Los Angeles Clippers




Golden State Warriors








Phoenix Suns





Sacramento Kings



Los Angeles Lakers

Southwest

San Antonio Spurs



Dallas Mavericks



Houston Rockets




Memphis Grizzlies



New Orleans Pelicans
NBA Playoffs Opening Round

#1 Cavaliers over #8 Hornets in 5 games




#2 Bulls over #7 Knicks in 5 games




#6 Hawks over #3 Raptors in 7 games




#4 Wizards over #5 Heat in 6 games





#1 Thunder over #8 Suns in 4 games





#2 Clippers over #7 Rockets in 6 games



#3 Spurs over #6 Trail Blazers in 7 games



#4 Warriors over #5 Mavericks in 7 games



Conference Semifinals

#1 Cavaliers over #4 Wizards in 6 games





#2 Bulls over #6 Hawks in 6 games






#1 Thunder over #4 Warriors in 7 games





#2 Clippers over #3 Spurs in 7 games


Conference Finals

#1 Cavaliers over #2 Bulls in 6 games




#2 Clippers over #1 Thunder in 6 games


2015 NBA Finals







Los Angeles Clippers over Cleveland Cavaliers in 6 games

As I said, a lot of my playoff picks bear a very close resemblance to what I had last year. Obviously I'm going with a different champion, one team that I thought I'd be unique for picking after seeing most predictions until I saw three of four experts over at CBS with the exact same outcome. Still, I think the Clippers are the team that was most discouraged by their early exit last year and will be motivated to finish the job this season.

No comments: