Friday, May 15, 2015

NHL Stanley Cup Playoff Conference Finals Predictions: Excuse Me While I Whip This Out

It's been a long day, and the playoffs finally resume tomorrow after something like two days without hockey. Withdrawal is a bitch.

Anyway, I got half my picks right in the last round, bringing me to a forgettable 7-5 thus far this postseason. And I've already forgotten how many series I had exactly predicted, but it was none in the most recent round.

Of the four remaining Stanley Cup Final possibilities, the NHL has to be absolutely giddy at the prospect of the much-predicted Chicago-New York Final. That would almost be certain to smash all records with the rating that would deliver.

On the other hand, Tampa vs. Anaheim? That sounds like it could smash records too. Just the ones for lowest viewership.

So do I like either of those scenarios? Or am I guessing it's going to be one of the other two?


Sure, these are descending order of confidence, whatever that's worth:

Chicago Blackhawks over Anaheim Ducks in six games

Honestly tempted to pick the Blackhawks in four. This is going to be Anaheim's first real test of the playoffs while Chicago has already gotten past two pretty respectable clubs. Still, I feel we'll probably get a split of the first two, the Blackhawks take both games at the United Center, and the home team wins out for the remaining two.

Tampa Bay Lightning over New York Rangers in six games

I've been pretty miserable at predicting the East, so you're probably better served putting your money on the Rangers. My guess is either I'm right on the money here or New York wins in seven yet again. I don't have a strong game-by-game sense with this one, but just feel like the Rangers have looked vulnerable while the Bolts are looking more like their time has arrived. Ben Bishop also played much better against the Habs than he did against the Wings

No comments: