Saturday, May 02, 2015

Round Two NBA Playoff Predictions: Give Me One Reason

I can't remember the last time (if ever) I went eight-for-eight in first round playoff series predictions for the NBA (or hell, the NHL), but that's exactly what happened with the last round's picks. It almost makes me wish that I had tracked the picks of other experts, not that there would have been enormous differentiation since everybody had largely the same predictions except for maybe one or two series. OK, I only had the number of games each series would take right in two of the eight series, but let me have my moment.

All of that said, the first round was largely a colossal bore. I barely peeked in on much, with only the Spurs-Clippers seven-game series really living up to expectations. I can't see how things don't dramatically improve in the second round, what with most of the teams now having to play much better competition.

Once again, the West seems like the most attractive viewing, although this Bulls fan certainly will have a rooting interest in seeing if his favorite basketball team can knock off a suddenly vulnerable Cleveland squad. Am I optimistic about those chance?

Let's see.

Golden State Warriors over Memphis Grizzlies in five games

No Mike Conley for the Grizzlies? Then no chance for Memphis. If he's not 100 percent, I don't know how the reserves can slow down the most explosive backcourt in the league. Golden State might get a challenge at some point in these playoffs, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be here.

Washington Wizards over Atlanta Hawks in six games

I had considered myself a buyer of the Hawks when so many people were dismissing their success this regular season as something that would not translate to the playoffs. The fact that Atlanta needed six games to oust a weak Nets squad hurt my confidence, and the way the Wizards made such quick work of Toronto brought back the belief I had at the beginning of the season that this team would be contenders. I'm still not overly high on either of these clubs, but I think Washington will knock off the top seed this year.


Los Angeles Clippers over Houston Rockets in six games

Getting by the defending champion Spurs cannot be overlooked. It showed a tremendous amount of character for the Clippers and proved that they're ready to compete, even if there's some well-deserved concerns about that bench. Harden will still have his monster games, but I don't expect L.A. to face anywhere near the struggle they just got through.


Cleveland Cavaliers over Chicago Bulls in six games

No Kevin Love and maybe no J.R. Smith for a couple games, but I still believe LeBron finds his way to undo the Bulls. Of course I'm rooting for the other outcome, but just too many turnovers by Chicago in the last round and lax defense translates to a season-ending series here

No comments: