Thursday, February 16, 2006

An Open Letter to WFLD

33 E. Congress Parkway, Suite 224
Chicago, IL 60605-1996

February 16, 2006

Andrew Finlayson
WFLD FOX 32
205 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60601


Dear Mr. Finlayson:

I consider myself to be a longtime viewer of programming on WFLD FOX Chicago, which is why it saddens me to learn yesterday of your decision to terminate 18-year veteran Bruce Wolf.

I grew up in one of those rare households without cable television. For many years, we relied on a color television that had no remote and did not receive UHF stations, only static. When I purchased a black-and-white 13-inch television at a garage sale for my own room, being able to receive UHF programming literally doubled my viewing options.

And most of the time, you’d find my television dial set to the number “32.” Shortly after the beginning of Operation Desert Storm in 1991, I became a regular viewer of a show called “Nine Thirty,” which would go on to be hosted by Wolf and then-weatherman Dan Dobrowolski. Wolf’s humor and comic timing in a variety of pieces he delivered for your station were nothing short of impeccable.

Although “Nine Thirty” failed, when WFLD unveiled “Fox Thing In The Morning,” Wolf was an essential part of that show’s success along with hosts Bob Sirrott and Marianne Muciano.

I have taken exception to some of the hiring decisions WFLD management has made in the past (letting go of Sirrott and Murciano) as well as applauding others (hiring Mark Suppelsa and Corey McPherrin). But your most recent decision to let go of one of, if not the best sports anchors in the city is shocking, disappointing, and simply reprehensible.

I hope and believe another Chicago station will be smart enough to pick up Wolf, but your decision—most likely made only to protect your bottom line—has cost you this viewer, and I’m sure many others. WFLD used to be a regular fixture in my daily viewing, but now I wouldn’t care less if when flipping by the channel, all I came across is static once again.

Sincerely,

Derek Strum

No comments: