Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Week Three Power Rankings

I had meant to post my predictions before last weekend, but ... well, you know how it is.

Anyway, long story short, I'm in a weekly football pool this year (no, of course it's not for money—why do you ask?) and wanted to record my picks seeing as this particular pool also accumulates the points from the season and lets you win some fabulous year-end prize, probably something like dinner at this place.

So before I post my Week Four picks later this week, allow me to give you my "power rankings"—by no means a list of the best teams in descending order. Rather, this my self-serving list of teams ranked solely by how well I feel they've been serving me.

I am happy to report that three-quarters of the NFL teams have produced more points for me than they've taken away. Last week, I went 10-6 and finished with 97 points (8th place out of 25). On the year, that brings me to 29-18 with 267 points (7th place out of 25).


1. NEW YORK GIANTS
  • Actual Record: 3-0
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 47
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +47
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I'm still waiting for their first major test but I'll probably keep betting big on them.
2. ST. LOUIS RAMS
  • Actual Record: 0-3
  • My predicted record: 0-3
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 39
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +39
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Nothing fills me with as much confidence as betting against these guys every week.
3. DETROIT LIONS
  • Actual Record: 0-3
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 33
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 9
  • Plus/Minus: +24
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I still can't believe I picked these guys to win one. I might not let that happen again.
4. GREEN BAY PACKERS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 14
  • Points scored for me with losses: 9
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +23
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I'm secretly rooting for them strictly because I think any Green Bay success makes Brett Favre cry.
5. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 14
  • Points scored for me with losses: 8
  • Points taken from me with wins: 1
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +21
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: They've been impressive, no doubt. But I'm still suspicious. Isn't McNabb due to disappear one of these weeks?
5. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 22
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 1
  • Plus/Minus: +21
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Last week's loss to Philly wasn't stunning, just a sort of reality check for those thinking the Steelers had inherited the AFC with Brady's injury.
7. CLEVELAND BROWNS
  • Actual Record: 0-3
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 24
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 6
  • Plus/Minus: +18
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Yeesh ... I picked them to beat Dallas only to have a few token upsets on my sheet. They look reliably bad.
7. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 15
  • Points scored for me with losses: 12
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 9
  • Plus/Minus: +18
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: They've been pretty kind to me so far, but I foresee less points placed for them or against them.
7. NEW YORK JETS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 13
  • Points scored for me with losses: 5
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +18
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Going more or less like I thought the Favre experiment would go, although San Diego whipped them harder than expected.
10. ARIZONA CARDINALS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 14
  • Points scored for me with losses: 3
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +17
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: So far, they've yet to surprise or disappoint me. Let's hope it stays that way.
11. DENVER BRONCOS
  • Actual Record: 3-0
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 15
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +15
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I hadn't bet much on them these first few weeks, but they're my early AFC favorites.
12. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 11
  • Points scored for me with losses: 4
  • Points taken from me with wins: 3
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +12
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Much like New Orleans, they've only surprised me once, but I'm giving them more benefit of the doubt than I once did.
12. TAMPA BAY BUCANEERS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 4
  • Points scored for me with losses: 15
  • Points taken from me with wins: 7
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +12
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Positive signs from a team I usually struggle to get a good read on.
14. DALLAS COWBOYS
  • Actual Record: 3-0
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 17
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 6
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +11
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: OK, they're pretty scary. You happy, LV?
14. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 14
  • Points scored for me with losses: 3
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 6
  • Plus/Minus: +11
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Yikes. Not the start I'd expect from what is typically an AFC powerhouse.
16. WASHINGTON REDSKINS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record:1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 3
  • Points scored for me with losses: 16
  • Points taken from me with wins: 9
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +10
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: They've been better than I originally gave them credit for, and I'm happy I realized that right away.
17. HOUSTON TEXANS
  • Actual Record: 0-2
  • My predicted record: 1-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 11
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 2
  • Plus/Minus: +9
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Disappointing start, but I'm holding off on any sweeping judgment.
18. MIAMI DOLPHINS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 0-3
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 23
  • Points taken from me with wins: 15
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +8
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Slow way the fuck down before concluding too much about last week's upset.
18. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 0-3
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 16
  • Points taken from me with wins: 8
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +8
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I enjoyed watching them lose (as I always do) those first two weeks, but the victory over Carolina was impressive.
20. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
  • Actual Record: 0-3
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 17
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 13
  • Plus/Minus: +4
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I refuse to believe Herm Edwards is going to let the Chiefs continue to be as much of a laughing stock as they've been.
21. BALTIMORE RAVENS
  • Actual Record: 2-0
  • My predicted record: 1-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 13
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 10
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +3
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I know, they've only played two games, so this might be as high as you see them all season.
22. OAKLAND RAIDERS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 0-3
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 15
  • Points taken from me with wins: 13
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: +2
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I'm very tempted to dismiss them under "sucks" and go against them all year, but they're going to get another win or two somewhere in there.
23. CINCINNATI BENGALS
  • Actual Record: 0-3
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 16
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 15
  • Plus/Minus: +1
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Ah, disastrous times have returned in Cincinnati. Offense is sure to kick in the week I don't pick them.
23. SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 4
  • Points scored for me with losses: 2
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 5
  • Plus/Minus: +1
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: It's still early in the season and it's not real clear if even they know how good they are.
25. ATLANTA FALCONS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 5
  • Points scored for me with losses: 4
  • Points taken from me with wins: 9
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: EVEN
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Very uncomfortable picking for or against them.
26. BUFFALO BILLS
  • Actual Record: 3-0
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 14
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 15
  • Points taken from me with losses:
  • Plus/Minus: -1
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: While it's hard to believe they're undefeated three weeks into the season, somebody has to win the AFC East I suppose.
26. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 10
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 11
  • Plus/Minus: -1
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: So far, it's another year of the Seahawks toying with me from week to week.
28. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 13
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 15
  • Plus/Minus: -2
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Not a single person in the pool picked Miami last week, but that ass-whooping has been duly noted.
29. CHICAGO BEARS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 3-0
  • Points scored for me with wins: 3
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 0
  • Points taken from me with losses: 13
  • Plus/Minus: -10
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Always a wasted argument with me, seeing as I'll find one reason or another to pick them every week just to say I did.
30. TENNESSEE TITANS
  • Actual Record: 3-0
  • My predicted record: 0-3
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 14
  • Points taken from me with losses: 0
  • Plus/Minus: -14
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I've picked them to lose all three weeks so far and I'm not going to stop until they finally lose ... mostly just to spite B. Doggy.
31. CAROLINA PANTHERS
  • Actual Record: 2-1
  • My predicted record: 1-2
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 11
  • Points taken from me with losses: 8
  • Plus/Minus: -19
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: I'm troubled by what so far has been another case of doing the opposite of what is expected.
32. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
  • Actual Record: 1-2
  • My predicted record: 2-1
  • Points scored for me with wins: 0
  • Points scored for me with losses: 0
  • Points taken from me with wins: 6
  • Points taken from me with losses: 14
  • Plus/Minus: -20
  • 25 WORDS OR LESS: Alas, here's the fuckwads that got knocked me out of the suicide pool on opening week last year. They still piss me off.

No comments: