Saturday, January 07, 2012

Wild Card Picks: The most difficult predictions ever

It is nothing short of a total nightmare trying to post this from my phone right now, so this round of predictions is not going to be anywhere near the usual breakdown of regular season numbers it normally was when Wild Card weekend began breaking down various otherwise meaningless numbers. Oh, and I'm typing this in HTML right now. So there's that too. The title to this post has nothing to do with the actual games themselves, but rather with trying the absolute nightmare that is this Blogger interface on an Android phone. I highly doubt I will ever try taking this route ever again.

For now, I'll merely say that whatever improvement I had this season prediction-wise was not really anything to brag about. I'll almost still certainly make note of the specific number of improvements in one of the future rounds when I'm actually typing at a computer. For now though, we'll make do with just getting to the goddamn picks already.

(Oh, and I obviously intend to track the usual other groups of, ahem, "expert" picks, but you'll have to forgive me for not being able to post their predictions this round. I may come back and add them in later, but I really wouldn't count on it if you are that random reader whom has accidentally stumbled upon this site, taken the time to read this far and has absolutely no idea what the hell I've been talking about.)

Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4) over Denver Broncos (8-8)

It seems like such an apparent mismatch that I was temporarily recalling last year's stunning upset of the heavily-favored Saints in Seattle. But ultimately, as good as Denver's defense has occasionally ben this year, the gap between the Broncos' lack of offensive weapons and the assortment of strengths in the Steelers' defense is just a little too much to ignore. Tim Tebow will need more than just one miracle to win his first playoff game, and I expect Pittsburgh to make Denver pay for any mistakes. Considering the Steelers have lost only one opening playoff game in their last 10 or 11 postseason appearances, this has to be the safest call of any to make this weekend. Kind of funny how nobody has really even mentioned that whole "Super Bowl slump" with this group, isn't it?

New Orleans Saints (13-3) over Detroit Lions (10-6)

All HTML on an Android phone makes D. Rock an irritable boy. All HTML on an Android phone makes D. Rock an irritable boy. All HTML on an Android phone makes D. Rock an irritable boy. Oh ... fuck it, back on a computer now. I had the Saints in the Super Bowl at the beginning of the year and am not intending to go against that logic in this round. Yes, it could very well be a shootout that makes for the most exciting game of this round, but there's a reason Drew Brees has been repeatedly mentioned as the most deserving alternative to the otherwise runaway candidacy of Aaron Rodgers for MVP.

New York Giants (9-7) over Atlanta Falcons (10-6)

I will admit that I had New York finishing last in the East this year after they suffered so many losses in the preseason, and now, if I were considering any team to be a formidable underdog in these playoffs, its the Giants. I fully expect the Falcons to give a determined effort to earn Mike Smith his first postseason victory. Still, Eli Manning has found a solid weapon in Victor Cruz and the G-Men clearly have a superior defense to that of the Falcons. A spirited Atlanta effort for sure, but I fully expect New York will not be an easy out either. Look out, Green Bay.

Houston Texans (10-6) over Cincinnati Bengals (9-7) 

Hey, Oakland: How you feeling about that Carson Palmer trade? Even now, it's hard to believe how well the Bengals fared this season. Unfortunately for Cincy, I don't see all three of the AFC North playoffs teams ending up in the next round. Houston has survived fairly well under their third-string quarterback thus far and ultimately, I'm expecting Arian Foster to be the player that helps the Texans earn the franchise its first playoff win. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Bengals surprise me yet again, but I'm guessing Houston pulls it out in the end.

No comments: