Thursday, October 04, 2012

The Braves' Fourth Quarter: Feels a lot better than last year

I actually typed in that record when I first started toying with the graphic after the Braves clinched a postseason berth. Sure, I still held out hope that maybe Atlanta could steal the division, but the Nationals did not end up collapsing despite the high hopes many Braves fans had after the sweep of Washington in mid-September.

So while I absolutely hate the new single-game Wild Card format (and believe me, there will be plenty more griping about that in the next post), it's hard to complain when at least this year does not end with the conclusion of the regular season. I said in my predictions for the year that I thought Atlanta would be fighting Washington for third place, so you can imagine my surprise that both teams wound up jockeying for the top spot instead. (And let's not go into my World Series pick.)

I can't help but notice that this year's final fourth quarter graphic has many similarities to the one from two years ago. There's the team congratulating a hero at home plate after a wild win, and much like the final season of Bobby Cox then, we fans find ourselves hoping that the Braves can go out with a bang for the final year of Chipper Jones. Hopefully, this year's campaign stretches out much further than the 2010 playoff run.


Indeed, not a single team in this division finished where I had initially pegged them at, which I guess I won't complain about since I had Atlanta left out of the playoffs. There were other surprises around the league, for sure, but I am left with little to complain about as it concerns the Braves. With the exception of Brandon Beachy's early end to the year, there are no nagging injuries that are leaving my nervous going into the playoffs. If I have any concern right now, it is in Atlanta's ability to sign Michael Bourn whenever this run ends.

As far as this regular season goes though, it has been a highly enjoyable comeback from a really disappointing second quarter. Unlike last year, there was no real sweating at the finish this time around. It will be sad to see Chipper go, but at least—as was the case with Bobby—he will get one final shot at winning it all. Here's to hoping the team makes the most of it.

No comments: