Friday, October 16, 2015

2015 League Championship Series Predictions: Droughts Shall End

It indeed seems like something of a rarity to be this far into the playoffs without a Yankees or Red Sox on one side of the bracket and a Cardinals or Giants on the other. Nope, this year we'll be getting a world champion that hasn't last won a Series in at least 22 years.



With these kinds of droughts, we should also get some pretty thrilling settings for the remaining games—seeing as the fans in attendance will be quite worked up. I expect a similar level of enthusiasm from most players too, especially now that Jose Bautista's celebratory bat flip in the last round got so many people worked up.

Anyway, I don't really have too much of an issue with any of the remaining teams (Toronto probably ranks lowest on teams I'd want to see win it all since their 1992 title came at the expense of my beloved Braves), but overall, these are all pretty likable clubs.


I once again got all the games right in the last round, with two of the series being called in the correct number of games. So that makes me six for six this postseason. Once again, allow me to bask in my perfect record for a moment.



Aaaaaaaand we're on to the next round:



Chicago Cubs over New York Mets in five games

The Mets have a slight edge in starting pitching, but I'll take the Cubs for offense and managing. The numbers certainly indicate the overall disparity is fairly minimal:

Anyway, I just think the Cubs' young hitters are just oblivious to curses and silly superstitions. Whatever hole a bad outing by a starting pitcher might work the team into, I'm fairly certain Chicago hitters will get the team right out of.


Kansas City Royals over Toronto Blue Jays in six games

This one could really go either way, because which David Price will Toronto get? Which Johnny Cueto will Kansas City get? To me, the bottom line is that the Royals have already proven that they are capable of playing well under pressure. Exhibit A would be Game 4 in Houston when they found themselves trailing 6-2 going into the eighth inning of a game they would go on to win 9-6. Russell Martin could prove to be an enormous difference in this series if he can gun down Kansas City runners that love to steal, but I've become fairly convinced about the Royals. After thinking there would be some kind of hangover this season, this team instead seems to have come back much smarter, better, and more patient than what they were showing this time last year.

No comments: