Monday, October 26, 2015

2015 World Series Prediction: You're Gonna See Some Serious Shit

Alas, my perfect prediction record finally ended with an NLCS result that was nearly the complete opposite of what I had forecasted in the last round. Hey, but my ALCS prediction was right on, so that puts me at 7-1 this postseason with three series predicted in the correct number of games.

We've arrived at a finale that is the first World Series ever between two post-1960s expansion teams. Of course, the story all year long has been the possible Back to the Future correlation of 2015. With the Cubs now gone, we're looking at the team that possibly winning the Series being the team that last won it the year that film was released. The other outcome would be the team that hasn't won a Series since the following year.

Oddly enough, this series also beings on October 27—the exact same date that both of these teams last won those World Series in their respective years of 1985 and 1986. If this series goes the full seven games, the November 4 finale would match the record for latest closing act ever.

I don't really know what kind of TV ratings this World Series will garner (I mean, there is a New York team here), but I'm hopeful that we're going to get one really exciting finale. 


So here's my last pick of the baseball year:


Kansas City Royals over New York Mets in six games

Much like San Francisco's outburst in the Wild Card game last year pretty much locked me in with picking them the rest of the way, I think the Kansas City comeback in Houston in Game 4 this year guaranteed that I would not be picking against them. I am surely guilty of underestimating the quality of the Mets starting rotation, but the Royals do not struggle as much against hard-throwing pitchers anywhere near as much as the Cubs. Well, nobody did. Chicago was worst in the majors against pitches 95 mph or higher. Kansas City? They're the best. Furthermore, the Royals can manufacture runs. And lastly, Kansas City is building off last year's disappointment, so I do not expect them to be swinging wildly at pitches several feet outside the zone. New York will have its moments, but I simply see them coming up short in the long run.

No comments: