Thursday, October 06, 2016

2016 Division Series Predictions: Stay True to Thy Self?

I got the winners of both of the Wild Card games correct, but I'm not entering this round of the playoffs with any additional confidence—even though we have the exact matchups in the National League that I predicted before the season began. So I'm sitting here now wondering how committed I should remain to all of my predictions, seeing as three of my "final four" teams are still alive.

On a personal note, I'm happy that thus far, the wife's decision to cut the cord in our home hasn't made it completely impossible to follow the baseball playoffs. So thank you for that, internet.

Each one of the four upcoming series has their own fascinating elements, although I think a lot of attention is already being given to the potential intensity between the Blue Jays and Rangers after last year's meeting and what happened the last time they met this season. Oh, and I guess the Cubs potentially winning a World Series might be kind of a big deal. And yet another title for Boston would be quite an achievement.

Anyway, let's see if I stick to my guns or if I'm having some second thoughts about what I said in April.

Again, presented in descending order of confidence:

Los Angeles Dodgers over Washington Nationals in four games

I know that I picked the Dodgers to win the West this year, but what the team has achieved this season has been remarkable. Dave Roberts deserves Manager of the Year, and I know I'm not going to be watching L.A. commit the same baffling mistakes we saw in the Don Mattingly era. Washington, meanwhile, comes into the playoffs really beat up. Wilson Ramos is out, Stephen Strasburg is questionable to return this postseason, and Daniel Murphy is also hurting. All things considered, I as a perennial hater of all things Dodgers am generally pretty worried that this team might actually end up going all the way now.

Boston Red Sox over Cleveland Indians in five games

If nothing else worries more than having to see the Dodgers win a World Series, it's the idea of a spoiled Boston fanbase getting to watch another one of their teams win a championship (again). Still, let us be honest. The Red Sox have perhaps the best offense in baseball, and that alone counteracts whatever concerns I might have about Boston's pitching. Cleveland's a scrappy club and I wouldn't be totally stunned to see a Terry Francona team knock off his former club, but I'm not counting on it.

San Francisco Giants over Chicago Cubs in five games

Similar to my feelings about the Red Sox winning a fourth title this century, I'm not terribly eager to see San Francisco do the same thing. Yet here we are with me going with all three of the teams I will probably be rooting against the most. The Cubs finished with the best record and seem built to be contenders for a very long time, and I absolutely loathe the idea that any player on the team is concerned about "curses" or whatever nonsense most Chicago fans fill their heads with this time of the year when the Cubs are in the playoffs. Nonetheless, I can't ignore my nagging feeling that Bruce Bochy and the Giants know how to win in October and are going to make the Cubs pay any time they go to the bullpen. 

Texas Rangers over Toronto Blue Jays in five games

No idea. Went back and forth all morning about this one. I can see the strengths and weaknesses of both teams. Ultimately, I think Texas has more bats capable of inflicting damage than the Blue Jays, although I think Toronto might have the pitching edge. Ultimately, I'm going with the home-field advantage. I guess.

No comments: