Tuesday, October 25, 2016

2016 World Series Prediction: And So Ends Another Drought

Got one of my two picks in the last round right, so this last prediction determines whether I finish with a record over .500 for the playoffs. I have no complaints about either of the two teams we ended up with, so I'm mostly just grateful that I won't be spending the next week aggressively rooting against one club or the other.

Both teams have had pretty compelling postseason runs, what with Cleveland's bullpen dominating the American League and the young Cubs stars shining and seemingly oblivious to the omens of the club's past failures. In Francona and Maddon, we're also likely to get some very entertaining strategies employed throughout the series.

Of course, the one thing that we're going to be bludgeoned to death with is the fact that neither of these teams has won a World Series in roughly 5,000 years. I might be a bit off with that figure, but you get the idea.

There will indeed be a level of celebration in one of these cities that hasn't been seen in some time. Well, since June in Cleveland's case. On paper, this one has the potential to be a classic.



Chicago Cubs over Cleveland Indians in six games

Despite finishing with the best record in baseball this year, I haven't picked the Cubs once this postseason. Part of that is because past playoffs have taught me that the teams that dominate in the regular season often get knocked off by the scrappy underdogs. Another part might be the silly "curse" mystique I've derided but maybe not completely been able to avoid having tamper with my own logic. Whatever led me to make my wrong guesses, I won't make the same mistake this round. I've got my share of concerns about the Cubs bullpen, but I don't know that there's necessarily enough evidence to back me up. All I know is Chicago has the scarier lineup, and its one that's more than capable of roughing up Cleveland starters before the Indians can turn to their vaunted bullpen. Oh, and the Cubs starting rotation isn't too bad either. Only sorry that I won't be in Chicago to witness the madness that follows.

No comments: