Monday, May 01, 2017

Round Two NBA Playoff Predictions: Mildly Interesting

I got seven of my eight first round predictions right, but only one in the correct number of games. While I've heard that this year's playoffs have been pretty good, I admit that I personally have been more attached to playoff hockey games and have only as a result watched a select few NBA games. For the most part, the first part confirmed my belief that such a round was more of a formality for most teams.

This round offers four series that all have interesting aspects, but I would say I'm only really going to be compelled to actively seek out and set aside time for the Texas series. The other three don't instill much hope from me, either because the outcome seems so obvious or I'm just not that into either of the teams.

Anyway, I don't even feel much of any kind of rooting interest right now, so I assume that I'll be just pulling for underdogs the rest of the way to subvert the seemingly automatic Golden State title. At this point, every basketball game just sort of delays the inevitable.


I bullshitted there for a couple paragraphs without noting that these predictions are being posted one day after the round actually began. So if you technically think that yesterday's Boston victory influenced me picking the Wizards in seven instead of, say, six or four games, you go right ahead and think that. I was busy this weekend. What else did you want me to do?

Anyway, here's this round's picks in the usual descending order of confidence:


Golden State Warriors over Utah Jazz in five games

I think the Jazz could legitimately give the Dubs some problems, but probably not enough to steal more than one game. Even that seems to be pushing it, but would be nice surprise if Utah actually made this a series.

Cleveland Cavaliers over Toronto Raptors in six games

Raptors are dying to be taken seriously, but LeBron gonna be LeBron and Cleveland probably advances even more quickly than I'm suggesting here.


Houston Rockets over Oklahoma City Thunder in six games

Very rare for me to pick against San Antonio, but the Spurs have not looked as sharp in the games I've seen as they have in years past. The Rockets are ready to be contenders and should probably be ready to knock off the more experienced San Antonio team.

Washington Wizards over Boston Celtics in seven games

Don't take Boston seriously as a top seed and also think Washington was sneaky. So put those two things together and this is what you get.


No comments: