Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Round Two NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs Predictions: Sid, Ovi, and Everybody Else

I know well enough that crazy things happen in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, but the last round came as a bit of a surprise to even myself. Sure, I got five of the eight series outcomes correct, but two of the three incorrect predictions were also designated as my second- and third-most confident picks. So, you know, oops.

Now that my Stanley Cup Bracket contest entry is trash (so much for a Blackhawks-Bruins Cup Final rematch), I guess that leaves me without much of a rooting interest. I imagine that the inevitable Pittsburgh-Washington series is deservingly going to get a majority of the attention this round, but I'm not entirely sold on the idea that the winner of that one ends up hoisting Lord Stanley.

I'd say that I would probably be fine any on of three remaining teams winning it all, although I'll probably grumble or be disinterested if one of the other five ends up becoming champions. So who am I rooting for, you ask?

Well, let's get to my picks and see if you can figure it out.



In descending order (I guess):


Nashville Predators over St. Louis Blues in four games


Let's not make any mistake here: I'm full on rooting for Nashville to go on a 2012 Kings type run this year. In fact, I kind of hope they win 16 games in a row. Either way, I certainly want the Preds to get rid of those good-for-nothing Blues. I'm relatively confident St. Louis could steal at least one, but I'll go with the sweep here anyway. Maybe that makes me a fan.

Anaheim Ducks over Edmonton Oilers in six games

I really seem to have gotten over my reluctance to pick the Ducks. Still, Anaheim again had an impressive first round performance and I'm reluctantly believing this could be the year that the Ducks emerge from the West. Yes, rooting like hell for the Oilers, but not very optimistic about the chances of them pulling off the upset here.

Pittsburgh Penguins over Washington Capitals in six games

If we're going to be completely honest, then the truth is that the Penguins looked like a team that was finally going to break the NHL's repeat curse. Even without key players like the performance the team got from its HBK line last year, opponents still have no match for Crosby and Malkin. Yeah, we've heard all year how this was going to be the best chance the Caps have ever had at winning a title, but I'm guessing Sid and the boys piss all over that parade.

New York Rangers over Ottawa Senators in six games

The longer the Senators go into this postseason, the more likely it is Erik Karlsson ends up winning the Conn Smythe. Holy shit, that guy's awesome. Still, Ottawa got one upset and the Rangers always seem to be a team that survives in the postseason even when they seem outmatched and overpowered. While I'll be supporting the Sens, I'm preparing for the Rags to move on.

No comments: