Friday, April 15, 2016

Round One NBA Playoff Predictions: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My NBA pre-season predictions were once again more accurate than my NHL ones, as I got 11 of the 30 teams in their correct final spots in the standings for the second straight year. I also correctly identified 11 of the 16 playoff teams (five in the East and six in the West). My predicted Finals is still alive, and I'm feeling pretty confident that I was right about which four teams in the Western Conference will be advancing in this round.

As is what always seems to be the case with the NBA Playoffs predictions, I see no point in not playing it safe as there is usually very little in the way of surprises in basketball. Hell, after a 73-9 season, I've seen only one observer thus far who isn't picking the Warriors to repeat as champions in June.

Like many others, I clearly overestimated the Bulls this year—but I'm fairly relieved that I will not have to endure any further embarrassing displays from that garbage fire this season, In all likelihood, there's maybe two suspenseful series in this round (involving four teams in the Eastern Conference that all finished with the same record). 

Last year was the first year I can remember ever going a perfect eight for eight in opening round predictions (NBA or NHL), and I kind of like my chances of doing that again this year. However, my pick of the Clippers over the Spurs last season was something of an upset that came to pass and I'm not really about to pick anything outside of popular opinion this time around.

Anyway, here's my picks in the usual descending order of confidence:
Golden State Warriors over Houston Rockets in four games

Maybe James Harden goes off for some crazy shooting game, but c'mon. Even Houstonians know better.

San Antonio Spurs over Memphis Grizzlies in four games

I remember when the eighth-seeded Grizzlies eliminated the top-seeded Spurs five years ago, but don't expect anything close to that again this time around. Memphis is missing key players and simply has little to no chance here. 

Oklahoma City Thunder over Dallas Mavericks in five games

The wife can be as angry as she likes about this pick, but the Mavericks do not have the talent to compete here. Even with a possible coaching advantage, Dallas' defense is not suited to shut down Kevin Durant or Russell Westbrook.



Cleveland Cavaliers over Detroit Pistons in six games

The Pistons may actually have some favorable matchups against the top-seeded Cavs, so Andre Drummond could thrive in this series. Still, LeBron is gonna LeBron and Cleveland ultimately moves on.

Toronto Raptors over Indiana Pacers in six games

Those poor basketball fans north of the border have been waiting years to get out of the first round and it appears this will finally be the year. Indiana's hopes rely on Paul George, but Toronto should probably be able to dictate the style of play and control the series.

Los Angeles Clippers over Portland Trail Blazers in six games

The Blazers were a big surprise to this observer (and maybe many others), but Chris Paul has had Damian Lillard's number for years. Even with questions surrounding Blake Griffin's effectiveness, I think the Clippers are too deep to be upset by Portland. 


Miami Heat over Charlotte Hornets in seven games

If there's any other team I like to come out of the East, it's probably the Heat. That said, the Hornets are going to be a very tough opening matchup for Miami. The two teams split the season series, but Dwyane Wade and Joe Johnson should make the difference here.

Atlanta Hawks over Boston Celtics in seven games

I love, love, love the Celtics and what Brad Stevens has accomplished in seemingly little time, but I also really admire what Mike Budenholzer has done with the Hawks. Atlanta is healthier than they were last year and much better defensively, so it's hard for me to ignore how much better they played over the final months of the season. Not impossible that the Hawks actually give the Cavs more of a scare this year—assuming they escape what could be a pretty close series here.

No comments: