Friday, April 29, 2016

Round Two NBA Playoff Predictions: Everybody Hurts

Well, I've gotten all five of the series completed thus far from the last round correct, but I'm not too optimistic about getting all eight right again this year. Injuries have essentially decimated the Clippers (that and the Steph Curry injury being the inspiration for the subtitle here, which was used three years ago) and the Heat are currently one game away from elimination. And Toronto will always be Toronto, so all bets are off there. This is what I get for playing the favorites though.

All of that said, there's little reason not to continue playing the favorites. I've caught occasional moments of the NBA Playoffs thus far, as the first round was deemed as rarely being worth my time. Things are bound to get more competitive now (in some of the series in this round).

The second round will begin this weekend although only two of the four series have been determined. So much like my recent NHL picks, I'm going to have to update my picks later. In one series, I'm going to have to wait until we know any of the four possible participants.

Again, I really don't see myself taking in a full basketball game until the Western Conference Finals, but the Spurs-Thunder series certainly has potential to be the first really great one of these playoffs. 

Order of confidence probably still applies, as I'm guessing the one series added later at the bottom will indeed be my least confident:
Golden State Warriors over Portland Trail Blazers or Los Angeles Clippers in five games

The Curry injury in the opening round my be a little bit more scary if the Dubs were likely to be tested before the conference finals. I don't see it happening this round. Even with an MVP at less than 100 percent, the reigning champs should still be able to quickly dispose of whichever flawed opponent comes out of the first round.



Cleveland Cavaliers over Atlanta Hawks in six games

I've heard that the Cavs looked like they might have finally put it all together. The opening round sweep of Detroit certainly surpassed my expectations, but I'm guessing Atlanta gives Cleveland a little bit more of a test because the Hawks are a well-coached team that has some level of revenge on their minds after being swept by the Cavaliers last year.
San Antonio Spurs over Oklahoma City Thunder in six games

Could be a helluva series, and I haven't forgotten about how the Thunder came back to oust the Spurs a few years ago. Still, San Antonio had the best defense in the league and OKC had a reputation for blowing fourth-quarter leads. Put those two elements together, and I might be a little too generous in even giving Oklahoma City two wins.


Miami Heat over Toronto Raptors in six games

In this battle between the two clubs that didn't dominate their first-round series, I'm a lot more confident in the Heat than I am in the Raptors. Toronto barely got by an Indiana squad that certainly overachieved, but was nowhere near as capable as Miami. If you're a conspiracy theorist who believes the NBA is fixed, then you have to believe the league wants LeBron going back to South Beach in the next round.

No comments: