Saturday, January 12, 2013

Divisional Playoff Picks: Better Games, Hopefully

After all the importance I placed on having television to watch football last weekend, we didn't exactly get any really good games. Even the contests that could be considered "close" were not terribly entertaining. That said, the hopes are quite a bit higher with, well ... one or two games this weekend.

Many experts seem convinced that New England will be playing for in Denver next weekend for a trip to the Super Bowl, but there's a variety of opinion surrounding the NFC Championship. Thus, I'll likely be pushing hardest to catch the Saturday night contest, although I'm certainly interested in seeing the game that kicks off at noon on Sunday too. All in all, I'm hoping that if I let the lady take us to a screening of Les Miz on Saturday morning, I'll be in the clear to catch all four.

At least both games will be on Sunday next weekend ... the day after the hockey season starts. If you think these scheduling issues are difficult now, just wait until the Stanley Cup Playoffs begin.


I've added the experts from CBS Sports to the prediction mix, although their picks were not screencapped in that last post. While Keyshawn Johnson originally had the Colts when I capped those picks, he must have switched at some point (I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it came after Ray Lewis announced this season would be his last, which happened after I grabbed the images ... I assume some of these fan votes I'm capturing are subject to change too). Anyway, after one round, here's how the standings look:

1. Accuscore, ESPN: 4-0
1. Eric Allen, ESPN: 4-0
1. Cris Carter, ESPN: 4-0
1. Jason Cole, Yahoo: 4-0
1. Mike Freeman, CBS Sports: 4-0
1. Clark Judge, CBS Sports: 4-0
1. Prediction Machine, CBS Sports: 4-0
1. Adam Schefter, ESPN: 4-0
1. Yahoo Users: 4-0
1. Keyshawn Johnson, ESPN: 3-1 4-0
11. Will Brinson, CBS Sports: 3-1
11. Les Carpenter, Yahoo: 3-1
11. Mike Golic, ESPN: 3-1
11. Tom Jackson, ESPN: 3-1
11. Ron Jaworski, ESPN: 3-1
11. Josh Katzowitz: 3-1
11. Jason La Canfora, CBS Sports: 3-1
11. Chris Mortensen, ESPN: 3-1
11. Dave Richard, CBS Sports: 3-1
11. Mark Schlereth, ESPN: 3-1
11. Mike Silver, Yahoo: 3-1
11. SportsNation, ESPN: 3-1
11. Seth Wickersham, ESPN: 3-1
11. YOURS TRULY: 3-1
25. Merril Hoge, ESPN: 2-2
25. Pete Prisco, CBS Sports: 2-2
25. Ryan Wilson, CBS Sports: 2-2
28. Mike Ditka, ESPM: 1-3

Here's how the ESPN gang sees this next round:


And Yahoo:




And CBS Sports (!):



And then we hope the best for last: 

Denver Broncos (13-3) over Baltimore Ravens (11-6)

I had the Broncos getting to the AFC Championship in my picks at the beginning of the year, and they strike me as being far and away the safest bet of the week. While I'm sure the Ravens were plenty motivated by Ray Lewis' announcement last weekend, that nostalgia is not going to be enough to help Joe Flacco this weekend. Peyton Manning has grown quite comfortable in his new Denver home, but he's almost always been comfortable against Baltimore. He's won nine straight against the Ravens, and the Broncos this year won 11 straight to secure the top seed. Sure, that winning streak included two games against the Chiefs as well as other weak AFC West rivals, but I'd be surprised if Baltimore is able to cover the spread. Lewis is the greatest linebacker I've ever seen and he will be a first ballot Hall of Famer, but it appears that his career will end in the Mile High City.

Atlanta Falcons (13-3) over Seattle Seahawks (12-5)

In addition to Seattle becoming an attractive underdog for many people late in the season, Atlanta has earned a reputation for playoff failure. That seems likely to end this year, however, as the Falcons are feeling the pressure to rid themselves of that image. While Russell Wilson has not been playing like much of a rookie in recent weeks, Atlanta's secondary could make the difference here. The Falcons will struggle to slow down Marshawn Lynch, but a few key turnovers could make a big difference. Whatever the Falcons lack in their running game, will likely make up with through the air. 

San Francisco 49ers (11-4-1) over Green Bay Packers (12-5)

The must-see game of the weekend, and obviously the one with the biggest split when it comes to picks from others. I'm thinking back to Frank Deford's piece earlier this year discussing how science has determined that West Coast teams have an advantage because of the Pacific time zone. Green Bay's offense looked mighty impressive last week with so many key pieces healthy, but San Francisco's defense should hold its own. Aaron Rodgers is certainly the better QB, but the Packers do not have the rushing attack that the Niners can rely on. Also, Justin Smith is back for the already impressive 49ers defense. A very tough call, but I'm inclined to go with the home team. 

Houston Texans (13-4) over New England Patriots (12-4)

I'm only picking this because I feel there has to be an upset somewhere this weekend. I tried not to let myself be swayed by the fact that I had a Houston-Denver AFC Championship at the beginning of the year, but that's probably the foolish sentiment that's guiding me in picking this. I won't complain if we get a New England-Denver matchup next weekend, but like I said, I just get the sense that there has to be an upset at some point. I'm guessing it comes in the very last game of the weekend. Terrible logic that I wouldn't put money on, buy hey, what's the fun in just going along with the favorites in every game?

No comments: