Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Thank God That's Finally Over: Another Fantasy Update

Your author is hard-pressed to think of something that can cause an immediate loss of interest quite like hearing about someone's fantasy team. Having friends and co-workers recite their rosters with no real purpose other than to gloat about conquering leagues you're not involved in seems quite banal and pointless, no?

That said, the author knows full well that you the dear reader probably also couldn't give two shits about whatever fantasy team he's gone and created after so many years of taking that road less traveled where non-participation seemed cooler. Now the author has multiple fantasy teams, and while he tries mightily not to bring those into the other posts here on BMC that you might actually read, every once in a while, if for no other purpose than to help him remember who he had on such teams in a given year, he likes to keep a recorded entry of how he's done.

This is one of those times. Your non-interest in the remainder of this post is understood.

You probably don't remember, but when my fantasy football team last year proved to be something of a juggernaut, I still maintained that I owed my success to good luck. This year was pretty much the complete opposite of last year's championship run.



Whereas last year I lost my first three games and recovered from a 2-4 start by winning eight in a row to end the year, this year's regular season schedule is a nearly complete U-turn. After starting 4-2 this time, I went on to lose seven of the next eight:



I spent most of the season in fifth place, trying to break in to the Top Four's championship bracket. When it became clear I would have to settle for the consolation bracket instead, I actually found myself hoping to slip so I wouldn't enter the postseason tournament ranked fifth and ultimately finishing fourth. I slipped to seventh and finished ... seventh:



You may have noticed that I once again led the league in the number of transactions, but this side-by-side comparison of my opening week roster and my final one should basically tell you all you need to know about how my year went:



While most weeks were nothing near memorable, I did have one victory this year that ranks as my most amusing ever. Sitting at 3-2 with a number of underwhelming performances, my opponent—who had forgotten to update her roster, and were thus playing with two less active players—took a lead on me Monday night in what would be a devastatingly embarrassing loss. However, as luck had it, Philip Rivers continued to turn the ball over multiple times after a strong first half. His final fumble on San Diego's last offensive series took two more points off my opponent's score, giving me the lead and the win:



Sadly, that's my one game I consider most worth highlighting in this annual roundup. Luck's a fickle thing, and it eluded me all throughout this particular fantasy season. 

No comments: