Sunday, January 23, 2011

Things I made while offline: Al Pacino in "Serpico"


Because this blog will be dominated by football-related content for the next five months, your author has decided to make an effort to regularly post pictures his lovely and talented sister took of some of his artwork. These posts will include a brief thought or two about when the piece was made. 

This week: A charcoal collage of Al Pacino images from the 1973 film "Serpico"

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT: This was the last of three pieces I made this year for an online friend's birthday in June. She's quite the Pacino fan and I had garnered that "Serpico" was her favorite, so this just kind of made sense.

She was pretty happy with it, and even I had very little to complain about after finishing it. While charcoal used to be a medium I wasn't all that fond for, I began playing with it a little more this year when I wanted a richer shade of black and also found the shading a bit more satisfying than typical pencil. Overall, I was pretty satisfied with all five of the images I used.

WHAT STILL KINDA BUGS ME ABOUT IT: The beard on Pacino in the largest image in the middle still bothers me a little, and I wish that maybe I added a little more detail to the buildings in the background for the two scenes on the top row.

Oh, and confession: This and the Fergie Jenkins piece are the only two works I've ever "traced" for. Obviously not every single line, but there was definitely some real photos printed out and basic outlines transferred to make sure I got as accurate a result as possible. Hate on me if you want.

No comments: