Sunday, January 30, 2011

Things I made while offline: Sid Vicious


Because this blog will be dominated by football-related content for the next five months, your author has decided to make an effort to regularly post pictures his lovely and talented sister took of some of his artwork. These posts will include a brief thought or two about when the piece was made. 

This week: A charcoal and pastel sketch of Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT: This was the second of the three pieces I made this year, for another online friend's birthday, this one in April. The main photo I used above was taken on my uncle's cell phone, but the upper half's a little out of focus, so here's the shot the recipient took after she opened it:


Overall, I just like the effect of the black & white figure in front of the colors of the Union Jack. The wording on the shirt is in honor of the acronym for the online friend's identity, and since she (like I) is a huge Sex Pistols fan, this was greeted pretty warmly.

Before I got comfortable enough to do the project I put up last week, this particular piece made me feel a lot better about the results I could get with charcoal.

WHAT STILL KINDA BUGS ME ABOUT IT: The left eye. Too big for me and it fucked with me relentlessly as I worked on this.

No comments: