Tuesday, October 27, 2009

World Series Prediction

Just as I noted, a number of ESPN experts only picked certain series and most of them (the ones who fared poorly in the Division Series, go figure) were either dropped or, in one unrelated circumstance, fired.

Anyway, the stage is set for quite possibly a very thrilling World Series. But before we get to my pick, here's where my picks rank in comparison to the experts from ESPN, Yahoo and CBS Sports who weren't chicken shit:

1. (1) Eric Neel, ESPN: 6-0 (2)
2. (3) Eric Mack, CBS Sports: 5-1 (1)
3. (2) Steve Henson, Yahoo: 4-2 (2)
3. (6) Gordon Edes, Yahoo: 4-2 (2)
5. (6) Buster Olney, ESPN: 4-2 (1)
5. (10) Scott Miller, CBS Sports: 4-2 (1)
7. (10) Tim Kurkjian, ESPN: 4-2 (0)
8. (6) Jeff Passan, Yahoo: 3-3 (2)
8. (6) YOURS TRULY: 3-3 (2)
10. (10) Adriane Rosen, CBS Sports: 3-3 (1)
11. (10) Tim Brown, Yahoo: 3-3 (0)
12. (15) Danny Knobler, CBS Sports: 2-4 (1)

From my end, I erred in the ALCS after getting both division series right and got the NLCS exactly right after missing both division series. So the World Series decides if I finish above or below .500 in playoff predictions this year and while I'm hoping for an epic seven-game series (which we haven't had in a number of years), I'm going to go out on a limb:





Philadelphia Phillies over New York Yankees in five games







I was guilty of assuming Philly's title defense would end in the first round, but they've made a believer of me yet. And after they excaped the dangerous best-of-five, I pretty much concluded nobody was going to beat them—seeing as Brad Lidge's reputation for blowing saves this year did not end up being the storyline, as I thought it might be.

Yes, I realize the Yankees are big and bad and a popular favorite, but one team CC Sabathia doesn't strike me as being unhittable against is Philadelphia. In case you forgot, the Phillies took two of three from New York at their new stadium earlier this year (including one against Sabathia), and last season when the ace was still in a Brewers uniform, basically the same team they have this year pounded him then too.

So while I'd very much like a lively, competitive, memorable World Series, I see no reason not to go with my logic in the NLCS: A split in New York and then Philly wins three straight at home to accentuate a convincing repeat while the Yankees, having won three World Championships in the 1990s, drop their third World Series of the decade.

No comments: