Thursday, December 02, 2010

You couldn't care less: Another fantasy update

Your author is hard-pressed to think of something that can cause an immediate loss of interest quite like hearing about someone's fantasy team. Having friends and co-workers recite their rosters with no real purpose other than to gloat about conquering leagues you're not involved in seems quite banal and pointless, no?

That said, the author knows full well that you the dear reader probably also couldn't give two shits about whatever fantasy team he's gone and created after so many years of taking that road less traveled where non-participation seemed cooler. Now the author has multiple fantasy teams, and while he tries mightily not to bring those into the other posts here on BMC that you might actually read, every once in a while, if for no other purpose than to help him remember who he had on such teams in a given year, he likes to keep a recorded entry of how he's done.

This is one of those times. Your non-interest in the remainder of this post is understood.

I'm a bit overdue in updating how the seasons are going in my fantasy sports, but I'll just flat-out admit that even I'm getting a little tired of doing this segment. Still, we're only a few weeks away from playoffs in fantasy football and since I've come this far, I might as well finish out the year.

So after a dozen weeks of games, I remain atop the standings in the Tumblr league:



With just two weeks remaining until the playoffs begin, it's going to take a colossal fuck-up not to get into the fantasy postseason there—especially since No. 2 through No. 7 all play each other this coming week and should begin clearing things up while I play that team at the bottom (which admittedly has me a little nervous).

As usual, my success has had a little something to do with the bevy of moves I've made:



So the enigma that is Blair White is back on my team (for the moment). I've lost count now of how many times I've added/dropped him this season.

And speaking of Mr. White, he did absolutely nothing for me in what was perhaps the most critical game of the year for me at that point in Week 10. Still, thanks to big outputs from my two Jacksonville players as well as Brandon Lloyd, I managed to come out victorious when I faced the other team that was 7-2 at the time:




The following week was somewhat important to me too, since I'd been mocked for letting go of DeSean Jackson in Week Seven following his concussion. But it wasn't Jackson that hurt me so much as LeSean McCoy busting out a big touchdown run and, hence, my winning streak ended at five games:




And then the following week I got back to my winning ways in an otherwise forgettable contest in which I simply had less players suck than my opponent did:



The Yahoo league's been a bit more of a mixed bag this year, but I also went 2-1 over the same time period. Because the playoffs in this league include a consolation bracket, I'm still in the market for a spot there although getting into the championship group of the top four seems to be growing more unlikely:




You'll notice Blair White's name once again appears on transactions made in this league over the course of the three weeks:




I surprised myself with a win in Week 10, thanks mostly to Matt Cassel putting up a staggering 40 points—but also partially due to my opponent's QB, Chad Pennington, earning absolutely nothing because of an injury:




In Week 11, it was Philip Rivers back at QB and leading the way for me:



And then in Week 12 I was doomed by only having two players who got into double-digits for scoring:




And I've moved up a spot in the fantasy basketball rankings since the last update:




And I've already taken the lead in moves made thus far this year:




In Week Three, I was the third-highest scoring team in the league. Of course, it ended up that I played the second-highest scoring team in the league for that week:




I got back to the winning ways in Week Four:




And then in Week Five I put myself over .500 with another win:




Like I said last time, I don't think these screencaps of the fantasy basketball weekly games work as well as the fantasy football ones. So I'm thinking that unless I can find a better way to utilize them, updates for that fantasy venture will far less frequent once football concludes even though this week's matchup is pretty exciting since I'm playing my girlfriend.

What's that? My what? You didn't know about that?

Yeah, I've got updates of a different, more important sort that I should get working on.

No comments: