Thursday, October 09, 2008

2008-09 NHL Predictions

I haven't always been a big hockey fan, but my interest has consistently grown further out from the always entertaining post-season. This year, with the Blackhawks actually being talked about, actually having "a buzz" in this town again, and actually being on fucking television (WGN?!?!) for every game this season, well, I'm quietly going out of my mind.

I fully intend to get my ass out to at least one game at the UC this year, but beyond that, I'm looking forward to following the sport even more closely than I did last season. Hopefully I won't find myself looking over the television schedule on the eve of the playoffs and feeling like I know absolutely nothing about any of the teams involved.

But that said, let me begin my commitment to the new hockey season by doing something I've never done before, and that's lay out some picks.

Once again, the Detroit Red Wings seem to be a popular choice to win the Stanley Cup. That's a safe bet and certainly a logical choice. And I suppose the Cup is due for a repeat winner one of these years.

But beyond my simple hate for the Red Wings, I just think somebody's bound to simply want it more this year. Here's how I see things breaking down:



Eastern Conference

Atlantic
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
New Jersey Devils
New York Rangers
New York Islanders

Northeast
Montreal Canadiens
Boston Bruins

Ottawa Senators
Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
Southeast
Washington Capitals
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Atlanta Thrashers
Florida Panthers


Western Conference


Central
Detroit Red Wings
Chicago Blackhawks

Nashville Predators
Columbus Blue Jackets
St. Louis Blues

Northwest

Calgary Flames
Edmonton Oilers
Colorado Avalanche
Minnesota Wild

Vancouver Canucks

Pacific
Anaheim Ducks
Dallas Stars
San Jose Sharks

Phoenix Coyotes
Los Angeles Kings



Stanley Cup Finals

Dallas Stars
over
Pittsburgh Penguins
in six games


There will be actual commentary (and not just images of jerseys) throughout the year, I swear.

No comments: