Sunday, October 31, 2010

Things I made while offline: Athletes Playing Poker


Because this blog will be dominated by football-related content for the next five months, your author has decided to make an effort to regularly post pictures his lovely and talented sister took of some of his artwork. These posts will include a brief thought or two about when the piece was made. 

This week: An ink & color pencil drawing of various professional athletes playing poker 

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT: I don't remember what the specific assignment was, but I'm pretty sure this was made early in a high school class some time in the 1990s. My best guess would be between 1993 and 1994 since the former was the year the Philadelphia Phillies made it to the World Series and the latter was the final playing year of Sterling Sharpe's professional career. I'm kind of surprised that I couldn't find a date or signature anywhere on the piece.

The idea was obviously a play on Cassius Marcellus Coolidge's infamous Dogs Playing Poker paintings. My version used athletes that weren't even necessarily my favorites in their sports, but more likely I found easier to draw—or perhaps favored their uniforms to liven up the color scheme?

On the far left, that's supposed to be Michael Jordan in the red basketball uniform, then right to left in the background of the table is a boxer I'm assuming is Tommy Morrison, professional wrestler The Ultimate Warrior, and I believe Vancouver Canucks goalie Kirk McLean. Seated in the foreground with their backs to the viewer are Lenny Dykstra on the left and the aforementioned Packers wide receiver. Oh, and then there's a fictional guy at the head of the table on the far right whom I assume is supposed to be hosting the card game.

I do like how the overall look came out on the black paper.

WHAT STILL KINDA BUGS ME ABOUT IT: Mostly, I just wonder why I picked the athletes I did, and I imagine that, like I said, it probably had something to do with wanting to use a bigger variety of colors.

Still, Dykstra's uniform color is a little too pink, I don't know why McLean's right shoulder is so wide, and Jesus Christ, I sure made Jordan look ripped.

I also wish I had added more with, say, smoke or something near the top since the stoplight on the wall seems a little isolated.

LATE THOUGHT:  Also just noticed how tiny McLean's skate is compared to the rest of his torso—which is freaking enormous.

The fan at the head of the table also has some rather small feet.

No comments: