Sunday, October 03, 2010

Things I made while offline: Waylon Mercy

Because this blog will be dominated by football-related content for the next five months, your author has decided to make an effort to regularly post pictures his lovely and talented sister took of some of his artwork. These posts will include a brief thought or two about when the piece was made. 

This week: An ink & color pencil sketch of the professional wrestler Waylon Mercy

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT: I have no idea why I chose to draw up this easily-forgotten Dan Spivey incarnation way back in the WWF days, but I guess it would be because overall, he was a cool-looking psycho to me. And, unfortunately, I was probably still a little too obsessed with professional wrestling during my senior year in high school. I can't imagine why I was still a virgin.

The character was a "peaceful southern gentleman" who would then break rules during matches. An injury forced Spivey to retire, so the gimmick was short-lived. 





Overall, I'm pretty content with many aspects of the sketch, his left eye and tattoo on the forehead probably being my favorite parts.


WHAT STILL KINDA BUGS ME ABOUT IT: There's certain spots (left cheek ... whole left side of the face, really) where the blending could have been a little better. The tattoo should have had at least a little bend to it unless Spivey's forehead was perfectly flat (which it wasn't). The thinning hair on the top of the head could have been fine-tuned a little more as well.

No comments: